Sunday, October 26, 2008

Blog #7

I feel that Briony has attempted to reach atonement by writing her book. In this way, she is righting her wrong, by giving Cecila and Robbie their happy ending that they deserved. Furthermore, she is confessing that she made a horrible mistake and is revealing who really raped Lola. I do not feel that this is atonement for Robbie and Cecila, however, becuase they were not alive to witness Briony's confession. It was more of an attonment to make Briony feel better about what she did personally. I do feel bad for her because it was not soley her fault. For instance, I think that both Cecila and Robbie could have done a little more to defend themselves. Also, I think that Lola knew who raped her, and she let Robbie take the blame for Paul Marshall, so she did not have to tell the truth. Marshall, too, is a fault because he was the actual rapist

I think that when Lola married Marshall, she was righting her wrong. I think that by marrying him, she was justifying the rape. In her mind, it set the record straight, even if that is not how we precieve it.

No comments: